Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Hometown (Returning to The Fold)



I never ever dreamed in a million years, I'd be writing this post from this zip code: 43130.



I certainly never ever dreamed up in my head a scenario where I would not only be okay with it, but also pretty excited about it.

That would have been insane.

Here we are though. Here, being Lancaster, Ohio for those unfamiliar (or just too lazy to look it up).

To quote Chuck Berry, "it goes to show you never can tell."

And at the beginning of this year, we really couldn't have predicted any of the events that unfolded or the whirlwind surrounding them and enveloping us. It's just equally too bizarre as it is commonplace - which is why it's perfect, I suppose.

First, there was the super wonderful yet surprising news that we were going to have another baby.
Then, there was the hellishly slo-mo nightmare of showing our first house, selling our first house and moving out of our first house.

Now, I just made that last part sound waaaay too quick and easy. I feel you’re not getting it, so imagine if you will, the slowest simultaneous peeling of the driest, stickiest band-aid on your most sensitive areas of your body while the loudest, most annoying fly buzzes around and in your ear and your most-prized possessions are burned and liquefied in front of you.

Honestly, that takes care of about half the pain, stress, and anger you experience during the process of selling a house and moving.

Anyway, with two kids under 4 and one due any day now (seriously, any day now, baby girl!) we find ourselves back in our hometown, trying to buy a new house (our last house/the house we will die in because-we’re-never-going-through-that-again) and taking up quarters with my wonderfully accommodating and almost too hospitable in-laws.

The uncertainty of this move’s impact on our “daily life as we know it” (and our ability to get a really good tamale) pales in comparison to the assured hope we have that it’s the right move, which grants us the convenience of being closer to family, and the safety and security a small town brings.

While I never thought I’d go “Full Suburban”, I think I’m going to enjoy it.
I know the kids will.

But just so there’s no confusion, suburbanite or not, you’ll never catch me dead in a mini-van.

No comments:

Post a Comment